Sometimes it still astounds me to realize my 'baby' is growing into a person with her own sense of self.
Yesterday at pee-wee cheer they handed out pom-poms to all the girls to use for the season. Kassie was handed a one of the rare and highly coveted "new" pairs (as opposed, apparently, to those used pom-poms that are so devalued the moment you drive them off the lot).
During the course of the practice the girls were instructed to set the pom-poms down, get a drink, whatever. When they did so, a new and not-altogether-pleasant girl made an obvious grab to take Kassie's new pom-poms for her own and leave her more tattered set behind. I suggested this was an oversight, mistakes happen, Kassie assured me that was not the case at all.
Of course Kassie, having been told by her parents to always handle things in a fair and kind manner and the world will treat you well (ie. having been sold a load of goods) was heard to say "oh hey, those are mine could I have them back?"
To which the pom-snatcher replied "they're all the same it doesn't matter" in what was described as "a really mean way mommy."
Kassie countered with "well if it doesn't MATTER then can I have them BACK please?"
To no avail.This chick was keeping the new pom-poms. Oh sadness. (This by the way made Kassie cry when she got in the car because she couldn't believe that someone could be so mean).
I had a talk with Kassie on the way home about how if the girl was willing to basically steal to get them then she must want them pretty badly and they must mean a lot to her and we should just forgive her because honestly, it's pom-poms. And that really, this was a big old homely girl so we should let her have the pom-poms. Okay I'm making that last part up - I only thought it, didn't say a word of it to Kassie. I want her to be a better person than I am. There is still hope for her.
We are not, of course, a forgiving and forgetting sort of people. We are a grudge holding watch your back kind of people. Still, I try.
So today with no fanfare the girls went back to practice. It was noted early in the practice that pom-snatcher was careful to never set her ill-gotten-poms down for even a nano-second (which appears to mean she knew she was vulnerable to a sneak pom retrieval attack).
Finally, she could no longer cart them to every break and tuck them under her arm during non-pom routines. Although it was fun as he#$ to see her try.
We do not know how or when (I don't stay for practice) but two board members who stay to monitor practice informed me when I came to pick her up that the next thing they knew Kassie had the new poms back in her possession. When asked on the sly "did you get 'em back?" by one of the adults she gave what they describe as the most covert half-nod of "oh you KNOW I did" they'd ever seen on a 9 year old.
At the close of practice as we parents sat on the sidelines waiting to retrieve the girls, all the girls were again ordered to leave their pom-poms where they lay and join for a circle dance. The entire time this fun team building event was going on, both girls shot looks at the coveted poms sparkling in the sun. It was clear they could focus on nothing else.
We were all chuckling "this is going to be good" wondering which girl would get them. To be my normal mean spirited self, the other child is a big girl and no I don't mean tall. I mean biiiiigggg. Square-ish. I think she could take Mike in a fight. She does not look to be built for speed. Kassie started soccer practice last night. She's known for being fast. At the risk of sounding like a preening parent - my money was on Kassie. Unless they were going to arm-wrestle for them and then that other girl had the edge.
We don't know how or when but we literally turned away from the field for a second to greet another mother and turning back saw that the pom-poms were gone! Oh the horror! Never fear ... here comes Kassie, already halfway across the field, pom-poms scooped up, and striding toward us with the thrill of victory apparent in her step.
The other girl marched right up to one of the coaches to whine "Kassie took my pom-poms!" to which the coach, aware of what had happened yesterday, said without a hint or irony "oh but it doesn't matter, They're ALL THE SAME aren't they?"
Moral of this story? You do NOT mess with a soccer player's pom-poms. She'll beat you to 'em every single time.
(Honestly, I think the old pom-poms are fluffier and cuter anyway but I think that is probably beside the point).
No comments:
Post a Comment