Thursday, January 29, 2009

So I may have inadvertently kidnapped the neighbor boy ...

So I may have inadvertently kidnapped the neighbor boy. Hey, it happens ...

Look,
I have a LOT of kids around here and cannot possibly be expected to
keep track of ALL of them at ALL times can I?  I don't get PAID to
watch these kids, mind you. I do it for free because I'm a Good Person
and, more importantly, that's a big lie, I'm actually kind of mean and
pithy a lot of the time and frankly, need the karma to balance out.
Frankly, when you provide free childcare for a variety of people in the
'hood you could go around skewering kittens and people might look at
you funny but then they'd be all "well she does watch those kids for free ... and shrug and give you a pass.

So
I've been watching THIS particular kid for nearly a decade now. He
sleeps over a few nights a week and goes to school from here. Or not.
Sometimes he gets picked up in the wee hours of the morning, or dropped
off. Who can keep it straight?

Anywho, so our school district's
2-hour delay morphed into an actual All Day Snow Day (cue the screaming
fans of this - who are most decidedly Loud Children). So we are here
ALL DAY and having a lovely time dismantling our home for fun and only
recently did neighbor boy say "I wonder if my mom knows we had a snow day and that I'm here and not at school?"

And
I realized, with a start, that no she probably didn't and she's going
to be really confused when this kid doesn't get off a bus in the next
half hour or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment