Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Duck n' cover for the new millenium

The elementary school had a lock-down for a gun in the middle school on the Tuesday before break. Apparently, a child was reported to have brought a gun to middle (?) school and told a classmate he was planning to use it on someone specific. Classmate (good child!) promptly reported this and thus the lockdown was campus wide.


I learned of this from a fellow parent on New Year's Eve (ie. almost two weeks later!)


So I ask my Kass, "honey, did you have a special thing at school?" and she thinks about it for a moment and then says, brightly, "Oh yeah! We had a code red - the box on the wall says "code red" and tells the teachers to be ready and Mrs. S___ got to turn off ALL THE LIGHTS and LOCK THE DOOR and we had to go to our special place over by the coats and stay down. And if we had to stay a long, long time we got to eat candy bars but we didn't so we didn't get any candy bars."


This prompted me to say - exasperated - "honey, you know when mommy is driving you home and says "did anything happen today" and you say "no" (or tell me all about how Lilly brought a My Pretty Pony for show n' tell) well THAT is the time I should have heard this story!


Kids!


Yeah, some second grader loses a tooth she is ALL OVER that report. They are huddling in the dark by the coats for a "Code Red" and this garners nary a mention? I don't know whether to be glad it's not traumatic - or sad that it's not traumatic.


Apparently, it has no more impact on my children than all the times I spent practicing our "duck and cover" in the hallways of various school buildings in case of tornado.

No comments:

Post a Comment